6* BP English Blog

Daily by Naomi Shihab Nye reflection by Monica Ortega

February 7, 2011 · 3 Comments · Poetry Reflection 2/7

I think that Daily by Naomi Shihab Nye  is a poem about the importance in this case of a women because,  I feel that the author seems to say I and we  a lot as a form to show all of the work one people do. That makes the reader think on who “ we and I “ are referring too. It could very well be the working class because the poem writes “  these tortillas we slice and fry to crisp strips /  this rich egg scrambled in a gray clay bowl” (8-9) , I take this as not the literal meaning but the fact that all oof the work the working class of America does.  Another thing that makes me think it is the working class id because it writes “ this bundles of clothes I wash and hang and wash again / like flags we share, a country so close / no one needs to name it / the days are nouns : touch them / the hands are churches that worship the world” , I take this as the fact that without the working class there would be nothing in this world to worship materiel wise.

3 Comments

• Danielle Shepperd

Monica,
    Very good analysis. The same things as you did, I thought of the poem outside of its literal meaning. I believe the poem is taking place in the early 1900′s. One thing I think was very important are the lines: “like flags we share, a country so close,” and “the hands are churches that worship the world.” The majority of the other lines are just listing work that is done. However, you really get the cultural feel with those lines. They, or the “we”, is not accepted by the rest of the country, however; they are still apart of it. Not the people, but the churches are what connects countries to one another, I believe that was the point they were trying to make about it having them worship the world.

• kylie6

Monica I want to start out by saying I’m glad you didn’t do woman work like everyone else in the class, it’s what made me want to read yours.

I don’t think that the working class is who the poem is refering to. No this is just my opinion, so don’t take it to seriously. I think the poem is talking about what we call today stay-at-home moms, maids, or children who have chores. (I’m not sure what they called them in the 1900s becasue I agree with you for the date.) The only thing that doesn’t fit my therory exactly is the planting. I know that in the south the family often helped plant in smaller farms, but in plantaions the working class, as you refered to them, does do the majority of the planting. I do like your interpretaion, though, because I can tell you really thought it out.

• Mr. Munson

Monica–I enjoyed your reflection, but it is posted in the wrong category.